Saturday 22 September 2012

A View From The Cobbold Stand...


There could not have been a more contrasting view of two managers after the final whistle at Portman Road today. Our much-loved Sir Chris waved to his adoring travelling Addicks wearing his typical toothy grin whilst Paul Jewell trudged off to boo's knowing he was on very, very thin ice.
 
Charlton played for their manager throughout and got the result. Ipswich need a new manager quick or they're in big trouble.
 
After a very busy few weeks at work this long awaited (and long overdue) away day came at a very good time for me. The journey driving up to Suffolk went like a dream, I had a raft of new music to listen to en-route and I even had a chance to have a cheeky pre-match beer on the waterfront which was shimmering gloriously in the sunshine (below). I felt really confident. We may have lost three on the spin, but I just couldn't see us loosing today.
 
 
The team was set up to be more attacking with Jackson moving in to the middle and Kerkar starting out on the left. Fuller was the natural replacement for Kermorgant, who it would appear has picked up an injury in training. Charlton created a number of good chances first half and could, maybe should, have gone in at half time in front. Ipswich offered nothing.  
 
I enjoyed the second half in the company of Marco and some of his Rose of Denmark crowd, which made for a very welcome change to my normal lonely existence as an Addick! Within 10 mins we'd scored two goals via our Skipper, Jackson and the tricky Fuller. We should stand together more often!
 
Ipswich got lucky with a deflected goal midway through the 2nd half, but never really looked like equalising. Not that it made the 5 mins of added time any easier. If you want a match report, it can be found here.
 
 
Walking back to the car I couldn't help but think of how cross this chap must have been (left) who was pacing up and down Portman Road prior to kick off with a megaphone chanting his displeasure at Town's poor form. I got a few tweets from Town fans who suggest he's at it most home games.
 
I got home to the smell of home made chilli con carne wafting throughout the house and a couple of beers already chilling in the fridge. What more could a man ask for?
 
Only downside was my missus was a little frosty after reading that I'd dedicated my 1000th 'tweet' to proclaim my love for...er, not her or the kids...but Sir Chris!
 
What did she expect?

2 comments:

  1. Ted - sounds like a perfect day out and I regret not having more courage of my convictions and having made the effort. Despite thinking we would win, I couldn't stomach the prospect of walking out after a possible fourth straight defeat with all the moaning and groaning....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Dave. Thankfully the doom and gloomers had little to complain about. Long may it continue...

    ReplyDelete