Sunday 23 December 2012

Managing Expectations...

 
I left Charlton off my betting coupon yesterday. I just couldn't see any other result than a defeat and no matter the possible rewards, I will never bet on Charlton to loose. As it was, the £14 I did win (I know, but every little helps) was scant consolation for a disappointing Saturday of football.
 
By all accounts, we were unlucky to have a first half goal chalked off for offside and a stonewall penalty turned down. But as disheartening as it is, these things happen and it is pointless to dwell on them. The result has been and gone and Charlton head off into the busy Christmas period on the back of two defeats. Perhaps more worryingly, we are struggling to find the net; we've only scored 2 goals in the last 4 games.
 
And all the while, Sir Chris continues to tinker with the starting line-up, but, ironically, remains consistent in making late and often ineffective substitutions, much to the frustration of the Addickted.
 
Ipswich at home on Boxing Day looks like another potential banana skin. For me, that's got a low scoring draw written all over it. Knowing Charlton, we'll score first, squander numerous chances and then concede a late equaliser. I was at Portman Road earlier this season when we grabbed a decent victory courtesy of the tricky skills of Fuller. Ipswich were very poor that day but I expect them to be a different side on Wednesday under new Manager, Mick McCarthy.
 
Earlier in the week I picked up on a good few Addicks who clearly thought Sheff Wed and Ipswich would be easy meat, so if my prediction for Boxing Day comes true, there will be a lot of doom and gloom around late next week. One point from a possible six is not ideal, of course, but I know football well enough to know that there will be peaks and troughs in a tough and unpredictable league. Remaining 100% behind the manager and the team is hugely important.   
 
With Derby visiting SE7 next Saturday and then Watford away on New Year's Day, personally I'd settle for 5 points from the next 3 games. That should keep us in mid-table, where I expect us to be come May. I'm keeping my expectations realistic. For me, success this season will be to consolidate in this league.
 
Seasons greetings to one and all. See you at The Valley on Wednesday...     
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment