Sunday 28 July 2013

Fire Power...

I wasn't able to get to the Valley yesterday for Paddy Powell's testimonial, but full credit to those that did. A quick glance over my twitter feed post-match and it was clear (as if we didn't already know it) that whilst we look solid enough in defence, we are in serious need of senior striking options. Unfortunately it is looking increasingly likely that we'll start the season with our Breton warrior as the only senior forward option outside a handful of promising but untested youngsters. God help us if he picks up a knock in training this week!

Little wonder then, that Sir Chris opted for a 4-5-1 formation..

Even if surprise signings are made to fill the prestigious 9 and 10 jerseys next week, those players will have no time at all to gel with their new teammates before the season kicks off next Saturday. The rumours that unattached Ricardo Fuller may yet re-sign may help in this regard, but given his injury problems and high wages I'm not sure he's the answer. His absence from the squad yesterday looks to reiterate this point.

Throughout the summer a good majority of fans have called for the re-signing of Obika, but although nobody can question his impact as last season drew to a close, I do not see him as a 15-20 goals-a-season striker and I don't think it would be long before fans got on his back. My concern is how he would cope with that as he strikes me as a confidence player. I like the guy, but personally I'd look elsewhere. Other names have been mentioned (most of whom I've had to Google), but not one has excited me.

It was also disappointing that after an encouraging pre-season (at least in terms of results), a home defeat in yesterday's testimonial resulted in an influx of doom and gloom. It's amazing what difference a few new faces would make in lifting the spirits of the concerned Addickted. 

Dave at Drinking During the Game has painted a worrying picture of the clubs ownership situation in a number of his recent posts, including this one. I hope with all my heart his suspicions are wrong (as he will do, of course), but none the less, without urgent squad investment I'm bracing myself for a tough season ahead. In fairness, as an Addick, that's something I've had plenty experience of doing over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment