Monday 4 January 2010

Fine Lines & Nervy Times...


So, The Addicks 'plummet' to 3rd, and Norwich, if the majority of the press are to be believed, are coasting to promotion alongside Leeds. I can't deny that I'm disappointed to give up our position for the first time this season, but hats off to Norwich for putting together a fantastic run of results which has seen them gain some 29 points from a possible 33 available since they lost to league leaders Leeds United in mid-October. By comparison, the Addicks have acquired just 20 points in a similar number of games. The goal difference between the two clubs is 5 in favour of the East Anglian team, and as tight as things are, that could prove a massively important element.


But here I lament the fine balance between success and failure. Charlton's draws against Yeovil, Millwall, Swindon and Brentford could all have turned out very different for varying reasons, not least of all the discipline of our experienced players. Despite being two down at one stage, Millwall was two points lost, as was Swindon, despite the excitement of the finale. I believe that Sodje and Burton would both have made a significant impact at Brentford, not least of all where Sodje is concerned as his inclusion in the team would have no doubt meant Semedo playing in midfield, where I believe we need him.


But I wonder, now the roles have been reversed, how well Norwich will cope with the pressure of sitting second in the division, and whether Charlton can match the pressure required to remain automatic promotion challengers. I can recall numerous games leaving the Valley in the last few months feeling slightly less buoyant with a victory given the results elsewhere, and from Norwich and Colchester in particular.


Perhaps my greater question is when I'm going to loose the twisted feeling in my belly that seems to have been an ever-present feature of following the Addicks over the last four or five seasons...


Oh, how I'd settle for a boring season of sitting mid-table, winning as many as we loose.....just so long as it's in the Championship!

No comments:

Post a Comment