Friday 7 October 2016

Meeting Cancelled...

So Katrien want's a cosy chat with the CARD, eh? Well I'll admit I never saw that one coming. Duchatelet and Meire have chosen to ignore the growing discontent amongst Charlton's fan base for far too long and thankfully, and unsurprisingly, CARD have declined the meeting through the release of this statement, which ends with this blunt appraisal.
 
"CARD therefore endorses the view previously put forward by the supporters' trust that the situation is irretrievable under your management and under Roland Duchatelet's ownership. You had two years to talk and you declined to do so. Now it is time for you to go"
 
Bravo, CARD. Superbly put.
 
I've always felt that Meire's approach is not all about arrogance, but as much about that child-like approach of thinking that if you ignore a problem for long enough it will eventually go away. Perhaps, finally, Meire has realised that the dark clouds will not disperse on their own, although it's more likely her outsourced PR machine has failed in an attempt to save face with the protests about to resume. Every time she's created a PR disaster for herself or the club, or has made decisions that have proven to be undeniably wrong, I get the impression she hopes a few wins on the pitch will calm everyone down and we'll all move on. Regardless of whether she's managed to surround herself with a close circle of sycophants, even Katrien must begin to wonder if she's in the right job. Money aside, quite what she's getting out of it beggars belief.
 
I expect the club to now make public their disappointment that attempts to reach out to fans have been rebuffed and what a shame that is, blah, blah, blah. Don't worry, Target20k, I'm sure Meire still loves you...  
 
I can't deny it, I'm struggling massively with Charlton at the moment. Of the three home games I've watched this season I've yet to be inspired by anything I've seen on the pitch and the falling attendances are beyond depressing. This is the lowest the club has been in terms of league position since I've been a regular supporter, and there are no signs it will improve.  
 
Of the games I've attended, I felt absolutely no emotion whatsoever whenever we've scored or even when Johnnie missed that penalty. I'd hoped things might be different under Slade, but his cautious and unattractive style of football is a depressing appendage of Roland's dark and depressing regime. I get now why Slade has never seen promotion as a manager.
 
I've also come to realise that I cannot easily coexist with those fellow Addicks who want me to ignore the immense harm caused by Duchatelet and Meire and to simply 'back the boys' in a naïve belief that success on the pitch is even achievable, let alone would lift the gloom. I'm also growing quite resentful of those who actually think the protest action is the reason Charlton are shit. I'm a fair-minded man and I can understand, even if I don't agree, with those folk who just want to turn up and blindly watch the football, just as they've always done, clapping like seals, but I just can't do it anymore.
 
Because of that, I came away from the Rochdale defeat convinced I was done with Charlton until this regime has gone. In the space of 7 months (which, by coincidence, is around the time I last saw Charlton win) I've gone from a loyal season ticket holder of some 20 years, who's missed little more than a half dozen home games in that time, to a man more than capable of completely walking away.
 
But with CARD resuming their protest action, I now have an undeniable incentive to attend the Coventry game. I've got a ticket for the Lower West (coincidentally that's where I've been sitting this year anyway, now I have the freedom to choose a seat anywhere) and I will voice my discontent with everything I have.
 
What happens on the pitch is largely irrelevant to me now, sadly my only motivation is to fight for the future of my club in the slim hope I can get back to those days I miss so much, when winning felt wonderful and losing really hurt.

7 comments:

  1. Unfortunately how you feel about Charlton is all too familiar. I've stopped attending after having a season ticket for 15 or so years, defeats used to hurt but now I often forget Charlton are even playing. But will be back for the Coventry match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel exactly the same, defeats urt for hours afterwards, win put a smile on the fsce fot the whole weekend, now it's just a shurg of the shoulders and move on. Want to get the feeling of enjoyment back and hopefully it will when they lerave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sums up my feelings exactly Ted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ted, I'm sadly with you 100%...... I've never been so disenchanted, lost, dis-connected or felt so numb walking away from the Valley last Saturday.

    Sadly time is fast approaching for a mass boycott of a home game, if that doesn't concentrate the minds of the gruesome two-some then nothing will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said. 100% agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well said. 100% agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said. It's not my club anymore and didn't enjoy the one time I've watched a match at The Valley this season. This could be our last chance for a sizeable protest and my brother and I plus my grand-daughter will be at the Coventry match.
    Valleymick

    ReplyDelete