Sunday 4 December 2011

RIP Socrates...

For the second Sunday running I feel compelled to write a few words about the passing of another footballing legend. This time, the sad new relates to the death of Socrates, the Brazilian midfield maestro of yesteryear, who died today, aged just 57.

Back in 1982, when I was just 8 years old, I first set eyes on Socrates in the Spain 82 world cup finals. His tall, thin and bearded appearance set him apart, as did his abilities with the football. Strong, technically brilliant in every respect, goalscorer and a natural leader, he was about as classy as you could get. Make no mistake: Socrates was one of the best midfield footballers to have ever played the game.

For me Socrates is synonymous with a football era that brings back so many happy memories, and I am genuinely sad to hear of his passing.

3 comments:

  1. Indeed - who can ever forget the Italy 3 Brazil 2 game from that World Cup. A classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too remember Socrates, who was a wonderful player. He had an effortless style and stroked the ball around like it was a crown bowl. Very sad and so young. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel lucky to watch 1982 & 1986 glimses of his touch football & I can surely say he was splendid with zico as his partner. Really a great loss for the world football.

    ReplyDelete