Wednesday 7 August 2013

Ox-Foured

In Charlton terms, last night's fine victory over Oxford United now officially means we are on a 'cup run'! Don't hold your breath, fellow Addicks, that it will continue, but lets enjoy it whilst it lasts.

Goals from Green, debutant Pigott and a brace from Church gave us a handsome victory at the Valley despite 10 changes from the side that lost to Bournemouth last Saturday. Oxford never really offered a huge amount, in all honesty, but Charlton impressed in a solid and determined performance. If this was our second 11, they certainly played like they had a point to prove, which has not always been the case in these games. I was particularly pleased with Jordan Cook, who looked great with neat first touches and forward passes. Danny Green must fancy his chances for inclusion this Saturday, although a few frustrating moments, particularly in the first half, reminded me of why Powell favours the more consistent Pritchard on the right. Don't be surprised if Lawrie Wilson gets the nod on the right on Sat instead, for he too had a good game.  

All this means that for only the second time in 6 years we can look forward to a second round draw, and who knows, perhaps a home draw against one of the 'big boys'.

The night was extra special for me as at the very last minute I decided to take my boy with me. With no school the next day I thought it was a great chance for him to experience the Valley under floodlights. He loved it! Midway through the second half he turned to me and said "I love the Valley, dad". My heart melted...

One disappointment was the gate, although not in any way surprising, if I'm being honest. Just a little under 5,000 of us bothered, with an impressive 770 of them from Oxford. Too many times have Charlton massively underperformed in these games, so it's hard to criticise those that stayed away too much, but personally, if Charlton are at home, I go. Simple as that. I've never once in nearly two decades missed a home game by choice. What does puzzle me, though, is that throughout the closed season I saw endless streams of fellow Addicks on Twitter constantly going on about how they 'missed football and Charlton' and yet I'd love to know the percentage of those same people in attendance last night. People have good reasons for non-attendance, of course, so perhaps I'm being a tad harsh; or maybe the other 10,000 or so regulars were all on holiday!

All I do know is that they missed a very rare Charlton cup treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment