Tuesday 11 March 2014

Chris Powell...

Forgive me if I'm a little behind my fellow bloggers and repeat what has already been said, but this blog has always been about me getting things off my chest and in some small way marking the events of Charlton in my life. I'll try and keep this as short as I can...
 
I'm not in any way talented enough as a wordsmith to even begin to articulate just how gutted I am that Chris Powell has been sacked by Charlton. Sad I may well be, but unfortunately I'm not surprised.
 
Dealt a bum deal by the new owners, our hero stood firm by his principles but has finally fallen. In reality, we knew it was coming, even if we was in denial about it. Roland Duchatelet was always going to bring his own man in despite occasionally hinting otherwise to appease restless Charlton fans. I don't buy this rumour that Powell signed a new deal recently but had it returned with a note saying 'you're sacked'. That sort of nonsense serves no good. I prefer to believe Powell refused to become Roland's puppet all along. Good on him.
 
My guess is that the FA Cup run simply delayed the fall of the axe and if that's the case, then perhaps some small credit may go the RD for allowing Chris to chase his Wembley dream.
 
Powell wasn't the finished article as a manager, we all know that. He got things wrong but boy did he get so many things right. After the dark, dark years following relegation from the Premiership he gave us our Charlton back when he took up the reigns as manager 3 years ago. He put a smile back on our faces comparable to the one he wore. He motivated average players to sweat blood for us, the fan. He knew what it meant to be Charlton.
 
But there is more to this heartbreaking decision today that goes way, way beyond any obvious disappointment and sadness for Powell. No, it resonates much deeper. This is just the beginning of the loss of identity of my football club. The very identity Chris held so dear and cherished. The very identity he valued. The very identity he knew meant everything to us. I've never felt so demoralised at Charlton's prospect going forward.
 
But maybe, just maybe it was that sentimentality that was holding us back. Only time will tell on that. I won't dwell too much on this point for now.
 
And all this on a day when my season ticket renewal form dropped through my letter box. It's like a sick, twisted nightmare!

I'm going to end this post now as I'm struggling massively to hold it together... 
 
Thank you, Chris. You are a man that I cannot have greater admiration and respect for. Your dignity in adversity is inspirational. I wish you all the very best in whatever challenge you take up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment